Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dropping off art for jury in WV....

In my world, it will forever be about the art, but it can certainly do me no harm to also be about the food. The Purple Fiddle in Thomas WV is one of those places, if you haven't discovered, you need to drop in and check it out. They have a line up of music that includes old-time and traditional bands, but also a little rock n' roll, jazz, funk, raggae, Celtic, folk, Latin and more. The menu consists of a lot of fresh made unique wraps, homemade falafel, hummus, and pico de gallo and is served in a dining area either outside or eclectic in nature inside. You can even draw with chalk on the walls in the lady's bathroom! Fun.




A cute and small artsy gallery is located just a short jaunt away. It is owned by a couple local artists.


One of their displays is quite interesting. They had a bow in the floor and decided it would be really cool to insert a door to take care of the issue, then suspend another door on top to use as a display table. Clever and fun. This was currently being used for "buttons", of which Seth created a lot of the sayings and images on them. My daughter ended up with many of them. They included a couple of my favorites that he made to just see if you would say them out loud to make you sound silly: "supa sep secky suchy saba susser sa!" and "licka lally lupa luck luk!". Then there were "buttons are sexy"and "cheeses priced".





This is Sean, one of the co-owners. His work is super cute and comic in nature about life, drawn with sharpies and microns. His work can be seen at http://www.theartofseth.com/. We spent a good bit of time talking to him and Chaise walked out with several items, to include a print. He had a wonderful and welcoming personality and was super easy to talk to about why he does what he does.


Our main goal to our journey was to stop in to Mountain Made. It is this wonderfully old, large building and has a fabulous gallery of art and fine craft. Not only can you shop here, you can shop on-line at http://www.mountainmade.com/. Since I also have a home in West Virginia, I was able to take my jewelry to be juried to see if I could become an artist represented by Mountain Made that was established to promote WV artists. They offer classes, art studios and, of course, art. The work is dropped off and the wait time of about a couple weeks begin as they look over my work to see they agree that I am a nice fit for their gallery and that my quality is what they are looking for. Judging by the work currently there (I've shopped there many times before), I think I'll make a nice addition. Wish me luck!