Monday, June 21, 2010

Art on the River & the new display....

It was that time of the year for me when you decide it's time to go be one with your customer base. It never is a small task and I always appreciate what other artists do to get their work out to the masses. I started this season with a trying out a new, and what I hoped to be, easier and less time consuming display to set up. My family humored me as I roughly tried it out in our livingroom for about a week!
My daughter helped me pack the Rover. This is only part way filled and with the new display, quite the puzzle to put together! I can't believe what I stuffed in there! Uhm, time to buy a larger vehicle.
The new display. It set up, knocking 2 entire hours off my time! It is a flat surface set-up only though, so on unlevel ground, I'm back to tacking on those hours. I was pleased with how it clean it looks.
I love my snazzy banner a friend created for me out of my images. It all added to my professional image and was very well received by my customers at Arts on the River in Morgantown! Thanks to those who always make it worth my while to hump and slump my entire store to them.
Another contemporary artist was at the festival and decided to play artist on the sidewalk in front of his space. Some kids even joined in, and it ended up to be a pretty cool piece. He almost had his own type of language and it was about 20 feet long by the time he stopped. It stuck around for both days considering people were walking on the Deckers Creek Trail that begins at the Hazel Ruby McQuain River Front Park, where our small festival was located. Funny, but people didn't want to step on it!
Of course, one of my favorites is the paper booth! Annie Morris Simcoe (from http://www.annabellpetunahead.com/ or check her out on facebook.com under ABPH) makes fabulous hand made paper, out of things like ramps, vegetable matter and so many other items. Then she sews the papers together to make both 2D work and 3D vessels, jewelry and lamps. This lovely friend put me up for the weekend in Morgantown and we both tried to deal with the upper 90's that mother nature threw at us. It is always lovely to be at a festival, side-by-side with a friend, but especially one that has such refreshing and original work. Did I mention, I own many of her pieces! Now, on to the next festival.